What to do when it is cold outside? Make ice cream, naturally.
This silky smooth ice cream is spicy and warm from freshly grated ginger.
Want to know an excellent trick? Make this COLD ice cream and serve with HOT mulled cider. New England Affogato.
Use any tabletop ice cream machine with either a barrel that you freeze or a built in compressor.
No ice cream machine? One of my favorite books, The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz breaks it down:
Pour your ice cream base into a shallow baking dish.
Place in the freezer and stir vigorously with a whisk or spatula every 30 minutes, until frozen.
450 mL Whole Milk
450 mL Heavy Cream
28 grams Ginger, fresh and peeled
10 each Egg Yolks
225 grams Granulated Sugar
Pinch of Salt
1. Combine milk with ginger in a high speed blender. Blend on high for 1 minute.
2. Combine ginger milk with cream and a 1/3 of the sugar in a heavy bottomed saucepan.
3. Bring the ginger milk to a scald, whisking.
4. Meanwhile, whisk together the egg yolks with the sugar to dissolve.
5. Temper the hot milk into the egg yolks, whisking.
6. Transfer the mixture back to the heavy bottomed sauce pot.
7. Cook on low, stirring constantly, until the mixture reaches 185F.
8. Immediately cool over an ice bath.
9. Strain and store in the fridge until ready to spin in the ice cream machine.
After frozen, enjoy this with poached pears, hot apple cider or in between gingerbread cookies!.