Springtime and crafts go hand in hand. Out with the old and in with the fresh floral arrangements, a new throw on your sofa, redecorating and of course preparing for Easter!
Dyed eggs are essential for kids playtime, but I wanted to make eggs that were vibrant in their vastly different hues and executed with what I had on hand, being old red wine and of-the-moment turmeric.
The eggs also look pretty jazzy in my blue bowl that came back from Morocco with my fabulous Mother, Janet.
The secret for the deep dyed hue is to boil the white eggs in the colored solution for about 15 minutes, allowing them to also cool to absorb as much color as possible.
Purple Hued Red Wine Eggs
1 bottle red wine (save the bordeaux for consuming)
6 each White Eggs
1. In a small saucepan combine eggs and wine.
2. Bring to a simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Turn off heat and allow eggs to cool in wine.
4. Remove eggs from wine after 4 hours, rinse and allow to dry.
750 ml Water
3 Tbsp Turmeric
6 each Eggs
1. In a small saucepan combine turmeric and water. Whisk to combine.
2. Place eggs in mixture and bring to a simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Allow eggs to cool in mixture and sit for 2 hours.
4. Drain, rinse and allow to dry.